The Law Office of Gary C. Nelson

We’re On Your Side

What can I do if I do not like my doctor?

On Behalf of | Jul 7, 2023 | Workers' Compensation |

Dealing with a work injury is stressful on its own, but the situation can be even worse when you do not like your doctor. The doctor in your case is an important player. He or she will determine your condition and can influence whether you get benefits or continue to receive them.

When you do not like your doctor, you do have options for how to deal with it. The state does allow you to make a request to change doctors.

One-time change

You should be cautious about requesting a change of doctor because you only have the ability to do so once during your workers’ compensation case.

Request in writing

To make the request to change doctors, you must put it in writing and send that to the claims administrator, who has five days to respond to you. He or she will provide you with an alternative doctor that you can use.

30-day rule

One important point to note is that this situation only applies to the first 30 days of treatment. During the first 30 days, you will see an employer-appointed doctor, but after 30 days, you can switch to your own as long as he or she is in the network. You simply need to alert your claims administrator in writing with the name and address of the doctor you choose to see.

Having the right doctor is essential to your overall care. You want someone who you respect and feel will provide you with the right level of care. Make sure you understand your rights to choose a doctor.